Piano ARNOLD FIBIGER
Throughout the eighteenth century, both in Russia and Ukraine, the need for keyboard musical instruments has been continuously increasing. By the beginning of the nineteenth century, it was no longer possible to fill the demand for keyboards. Instrumental masters who lived in Russia and Ukraine, or who came from abroad, opened workshops here in which they made musical accessories.
In addition, a considerable number of instruments were imported into the expanses of our homeland from European countries. The consequence of the chronic shortage of keyboard instruments was the opening of many larger workshop enterprises, which improved the situation in this market segment at the beginning of the century before last.
Large domestic workshops with lightning speed spread throughout our country. The first Russian piano factory was opened in St. Petersburg in the distant 1810. Friedrich Diderich became its founder and pioneer in this matter, and did not fail.
Poland did not lag behind Russia. At that time, our western neighbors also did not have a developed infrastructure for the production of keyboard musical instruments. Perhaps the first major Polish enterprise was the Arnold Fiebiger piano factory. It was opened in the city of Kalisz in 1878. The path of this enterprise was not easy. This manufacturing giant supplied the entire south and west of the Russian Empire. Almost all major Ukrainian and Belarusian houses of culture had at least one piano from the Fibiger company. The relatively low price and good quality determined the mass production of musical items under the Arnold Fiebiger label.
The history of this enterprise began with the idea of a young guy who lived in a small Polish town to build a good piano for a concert performance. As the son of a carpenter, Arnold knew all the subtleties of this craft, which led to a good build quality. Finished and tried pianos attracted many famous pianists to Kalisz. By 1900, production had grown to 30 grand pianos a year. In the same year, the factory moved to a more spacious building on Chopin Street.
This contributed to the increase in production. 1906 was marked by two “grand prix”, which A. Fiebiger received after the musical exhibitions in London and Paris, in which he took part. Since then, the number of employees has already approached fifty, and the number of produced grand pianos was one hundred pieces per year. Until 1913, Fiebiger's venture expanded tirelessly.
By the end of the 13th year, the number of manufactured tools already exceeded 300 units per year. The competitiveness of the enterprise and the high quality of the instruments produced has become a key factor in the incredible popularity that this brand of musical instruments has acquired in Russia.
World War I hit production, and the factory was forced to close. Wanting to "stay on horseback", Fiebiger in 1919 decided to establish furniture production.
The year 1923 was marked by the resumption of the production of grand pianos. The factory reached its highest productivity in 1929. But then, unfortunately, economic and political upheaval severely damaged the production capabilities of this famous workshop, which was appreciated already throughout eastern Europe. In 1949, A. Fiebiger factory was renamed the “Calisia Piano Factory”.
Over the course of the entire second half of the twentieth century, the production of the Arnold Fibiger brand piano fell or rose to its feet. Alas, the musical instrument market is very volatile. In 2000, the factory was partially redeemed, and in 2007 the factory in Kalisz finally stopped the production of grand pianos.
However, even on the old piano, you can play modern music. Take a look and see for yourself!